Monday, April 6, 2015

Case Study No. 1873: Bexley Public Librarian

R.L. Stine Discovers Ray Bradbury for the First Time
1:19
Fabled scary author, R.L. Stine recounts the time his mother dropped him off at the local library in his home town of Bexley, Ohio. As a child who only read comics, R.L. staggered around the shelves in confusion, bitter that the library didn't stock his beloved reading material. A kindly librarian spotted his plight and approached, changing his life forever.
Tags: R.L Stine library Bexley Ohio Ray Bradbury comics. comic books mediabistro
Added: 2 years ago
From: mediabistro
Views: 1,012

[scene opens with author RL Stine speaking directly to the camera]
RL STINE: When I was a kid, all I read basically were comic books.
[cut to a still shot of the cover of "Tales from the Crypt" No. 28 (February-March 1952)]
RL STINE: [in voice over] Mostly horror comics and MAD comics ...
[cut back to RL Stine speaking directly to the camera]
RL STINE: And funny animal comics ... That's all I read, I didn't read anything. And then one day, um, I grew up in this little town. A suburb of Colombus. Bexley, Ohio. My mother dropped me off at the library.
[cut to a still image of the Bexley Public Library]
RL STINE: [in voice over] This little stone library on Main Street.
[cut back to RL Stine speaking directly to the camera]
RL STINE: And I wandered in, and I didn't know ... I-I must've looked really lost, because they didn't have any comic books. And this librarian said, "Well, tell me, what're you interested in? What do you like?" And I told her I like these horror comics and these books. She said, "I think I have something you might like." And she took me over to the shelf of Ray Bradbury books.
[cut to another angle of RL Stine speaking directly to the camera]
RL STINE: And she gave me one of those. And this ... this actually changed my life, because I read these Bradbury stories and they were so wonderful. They were so imaginative and so beautifully written, and all had great twist endings at the end. Y'know, the kind I liked in the comic books.
[cut to another angle of RL Stine speaking directly to the camera]
RL STINE: And I, this really turned ... Ray Bradbury turned me into a reader, and I've always thought this librarian, I mean, this was a major turning point in my life!
["My First Big Break" appears on screen]

---

From mediabistro.com:

How R.L. Stine Discovered Ray Bradbury
By Jason Boog on January 19, 2013 9:23 AM

In the video embedded above, the great R.L. Stine explains how he discovered Ray Bradbury for the first time as a kid lost in the library.

The experience would spawn a life-long love of literature and help launch a long writing career. It's a story that will warm the hearts of all the librarians and aspiring writers in the audience. You never know how a book can change somebody's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment