Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Case Study No. 1426: Miss Brooks

Miss Brooks Loves Books.m4v
3:53
Miss Brooks Loves Books Read Aloud
Tags: Miss Brooks Loves Books
Added: 3 years ago
From: chelseajesen
Views: 1,603

Miss Brooks is our librarian. She loves books. A lot.

She loves The Runaway Bunny.
And Babar. And Where The Wild Things Are.
And The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

I ask Miss Brooks why she dresses up for reading circle.
"I want you to get as excited about books as I am," she says.
I think Miss Brooks gets a little too excited. And I bet her costumes itch.

Halloween means we each have to find a poem to share. But all the books with witches, ghosts and goblins are checked out. And I hate pumpkins.

So I make up a Halloween poem of my own.

All year long, Miss Brooks reads us books. Books about dragons and Pilgrims and presidents. Books about love and leprechauns. Groundhogs, even!
It's vexing.

Then, in May, Miss Brooks tells us about something truly terrifying.
Book Week!
"You each need to pick a favorite story to share with the class. I want you to wear a costume and tell us all about it."
"Really show us why you love it!," she says.

"I'll never love a book the way you do," I tell Miss Brooks.
"Don't be so sure," she says.

When I get home, I ask my mother if we can move to a new town.
My mother says there's a librarian in every town.

I ask if she wants to do my assignment for me.
"I've already been in the first grade," says my mother.

Every single day of Book Week, kids share stories about trains and fairies and cowboys and dogs.

When Miss Brooks asks what I think, I say, "Too flowery."

"Too furry."

"Too clickety."

"Too yippity."

So Miss Brooks fills my bags with more books for me to read with my mom.

But I don't like any of them. "They're too kissy, too pink and too silly," I tell my mother.
"You're just as stubborn as a wart," she says.
Warts?

"I want to read a story with warts!" I shout.

My mother finds a book called Shrek! Shrek has hairs on his nose. And he snorts. I love that!
"Can you read it again?" I ask.

I love this book!
I have to practice the words over and over, but my mother helps. Then we make an ogre costume. I make stick-on warts for the whole class.

When I get to school the next day, I ask Miss Brooks to lend me a hand.

When I say the word "Snort," the whole class snorts!
I explain why a stubborn, smelly, snorty ogre searching for a revolting bride makes me laugh.

Miss Brooks says she's glad I found a book to love.
She says that even ogres, like me, can find something funny and fantastic and appalling in the library.

And that's the slimy truth!

---

From amazon.com:

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)
by Barbara Bottner (Author), Michael Emberley (Illustrator)

Age Range: 3 - 7 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 2
Lexile Measure: 470L (What's this?)
Hardcover: 32 pages
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers (March 9, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0375846824
ISBN-13: 978-0375846823

With the help of Miss Brooks, Missy's classmates all find books they love in the library - books about fairies and dogs and trains and cowboys. But Missy dismisses them all - "Too flowery, too furry, too clickety, too yippity."

Still, Miss Brooks remains undaunted. Book Week is here and Missy will find a book to love if they have to empty the entire library. What story will finally win over this beastly, er, discriminating child? William Steig's Shrek! - the tale of a repulsive green ogre in search of a revolting bride - of course!

Barbara Bottner and Michael Emberley pay playful homage to the diverse tastes of child readers and the valiant librarians who are determined to put just the right book in each child's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment