Monday, February 13, 2012

Case Study No. 0234: Unnamed Female Librarian (NotAlwaysRight.Com)

Neither a borrower, nor a table be
1:17
Taken from an actual librarian-patron interaction, courtesy of NotAlwaysRight.com. Animation by yours truly.
Tags:
Added: 2 years ago
From: allisonz27
Views: 917

[a male patron walks up to the female librarian]
PATRON: Hello, do you only lend books here?
LIBRARIAN: No, we also have DVDs, CDs, books on tape, and there are newspapers and magazines but we don't loan those. Can I help you find something?
PATRON: There's a lot of furniture in here.
LIBRARIAN: Yes, I suppose there is.
PATRON: I'd like to borrow a table, please.
LIBRARIAN: I'm sorry, but we don't loan the furniture to people.
PATRON: It's for my mother. She's coming over from Germany next week, so we need a bigger table ... How long can I borrow it for?
LIBRARIAN: I'm sorry, but we don't lend out furnishings. If you'd like, I can find you the number for a company that rents them out. Would that help?
PATRON: I'm not paying any money! That's the whole point on lending things. Will one of your staff help me carry it home?
LIBRARIAN: No sir, I'm sorry, but we don't lend out furniture under any circumstances.
PATRON: But she's coming from Germany.
LIBRARIAN: Well, I'm afraid we can't lend you a table, but there's a local company that rents out furniture for parties.
PATRON: No! Table! Now! You just want to keep them for yourselves!

---

From notalwaysright.com:

Neither A Lounge Recliner Nor A Borrower Be
Library | Rugby, UK

(I'm on the reference desk on the main floor of our library, when a smartly dressed middle aged woman comes to ask me a question.)
Patron: "I'd like to borrow a table, please."

Me: "I'm sorry, but we don't loan the furniture to people."

Patron: "It's for my mother. She's coming over from Germany next week and she's a very fussy eater so we need a bigger table. How long can I borrow it for?"

Me: "I'm sorry, but we don't lend out furnishings. If you'd like, I can find you the number for a company that rents them out. Would that help?"

Patron: "I'm not paying any money! That's the whole point on lending things. Will one of your staff help me carry it home?"

Me: "No, ma'am, I'm sorry, but we don't lend out furniture under any circumstances."

Patron: "But she's coming from Germany."

Me: "Well, I'm afraid we can't lend you a table, but there's a local company that rents out furniture for parties and–"

Patron: "NO! Table! Now! You just want to keep them for yourselves!"

No comments:

Post a Comment